Brandy snaps with clementine cream, perfection on a plate! Deliciously crisp and crunchy brandy snaps, spiced with ginger and filled with clementine cream.
Brandy snaps with clementine cream are my favourite go to at this time of year. I love brandy snaps, it was something my Mum always had in the house at Christmas. She never made her own, but always bought a couple of boxes. Now to be honest I don’t even need them filled, nor do I care if they are broken! I just love crunching my way through this sweet and spicy treat. Which always makes Michelle laugh as I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth – and these are sweet!
Brandy snaps remind me of Christmas and filled with clementine cream they are a real treat. Don’t sweeten the cream with any sugar though as the snaps are plenty sweet enough. Finely chopped stemmed ginger stirred through the cream also works really well. Finished off with a drizzle of stem ginger syrup and I’m in food heaven.
Michelle loves playing with molten sugar, sugar work is very much her thing. Lucky me as I get to go home with her efforts. Unfilled they can be shaped into crescents and added to any dessert for a crunch element. Much like we did with our Vanilla Baked Cheesecake with Mulled Plums at our recent Supperclub.
Michelle says the thing is not to be afraid of sugar work, as once you get the hang of it is quite straight forward. Work quickly before the sugar starts to set, but otherwise these are a really simple bake to pull off. Simply melt the ingredients together, spoon onto a baking sheet and place in the oven. Once baked remove from the oven and using a knife shape immediately over the handle of a wooden spoon. Having watched Michelle its something I am now going to try out myself at home.
Leave plenty of space between each brandy snap as you see they will spread as they bake in the oven!
Michelle’s husband grew up in Yorkshire. As a child he used to buy bags of broken pieces of brandy snaps, the ones they couldn’t sell for filling. On visits home he has been generous enough to take a bag back with him for me.
Pin the recipe for later:
Another favourite sweet treat that we enjoy around this time of year are our Easy Chocolate Truffles, why not give these a try. Super simple and great at any time of the year our Florentines or our Lemon Madeleines.
brandy snaps & clementine cream
- 100 g butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- 100 g demerera sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- zest of a lemon
- 1 tsp brandy
- 300 ml double cream
- zest of 2 clementines
- Preheat oven to 160 fan/180. Prepare a baking tray lined with baking parchment or silicone mat.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup until the sugar has melted.
- In a bowl measure out the flour and ginger. Once the butter mixture has melted, add the dry ingredients, lemon zest, juice and brandy. Mix well.
- Drop mixture by teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheet. A teaspoon will spread enough for a cigar shape. If you want bigger discs for baskets then add 2 teaspoons to each biscuit.
- Bake for 10 minutes but watch closely. You want them to become lace like, but not too dark, just golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes. Next shape into cylinders by using the handle of a wooden spoon that has been rubbed with sunflower oil. Or alternatively make a shape you want to fill. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- In a bowl whip the double cream with the zest of 2 small clementines. Pipe into the cooked brandy snaps. Store any unfilled brandy snaps for 2-3 days in an airtight container.