Creamy parsnip soup with a warming hint of nutmeg. Quick to prepare this flavoursome soup is ready to eat within 30 minutes making a perfect Winter lunch.
This week’s recipe, a simple parsnip soup, after all who doesn’t love a warming bowl of soup at this time of year? January is a long and dark month and without a doubt it is the month where I make more soup than at any other time during the year. For me soup has to be homemade using the best of what the season has to offer. January is the month where root vegetables shine, good on their own but outstanding when lifted with just a hint of spice.
Parsnip is a wonderful root vegetable, full of flavour, it requires little to make it into a tasty Winter warming bowl of soup. I make soup all the time, it’s a great way to get lots of vegetables into our diets. Whether its a hearty broth, or a silky smooth creamy soup like this one, I’ve always said that soup is a great way to test flavour combinations.
For our Festive Afternoon teas in December, we wanted to serve a warming soup shot when our diners arrived. Parsnip soup is perfect for serving at this time of year. However I wanted to add a hint of seasonal spice to the soup. Freshly ground nutmeg worked a treat, giving the soup a mild spicy warmth. It worked a treat as a number of diners asked for the recipe after the event. So here it is to share with you all.
Other recipe suggestions:
If you like this recipe then why not try our Jerusalem Artichoke Soup, our Spicy Bean & Vegetable Soup, our Leek & Barley Broth or our vibrantly coloured Thai Beetroot Soup. Each of these make a delicious lunch or a wonderful light supper using the best of what the season has to offer.
creamy parsnip & nutmeg soup
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 5-6 medium sized parsnips - peeled and sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.2 ltr vegetable stock
- 100 ml single cream
- salt & pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the the onion and a pinch of salt and saute gently for 5 minutes to soften the onion but not colour it.
- Add the garlic and the sliced parsnips to the onions and stir gently for a minute. Add the nutmeg to the pan and stir through the vegetables for 30 seconds.
- Pour over the vegetable stock and bring to the boil then turn the heat to medium. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for around 15 minutes till the parsnips have softened.
- Once the parsnip has cooked through, remove from the heat and using a stick blender blitz the soup till smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little more hot water to loosen to obtain the right consistency of your choice. Stir through the single cream and serve.