Pan fried chicken breast on a bed of buttery leek, bacon and cannellini beans. A quick and easy to prepare mid-week meal.
Pan fried chicken breast with leek, bacon and beans is a great mid week dinner dish. This recipe is simply one of those recipes that’s been mulling around in my head that I needed to get down on paper. It’s an easy dish of pan fried chicken on a bed of buttery leeks, smoked bacon and cannellini beans. Quick to prepare and packed full of flavour making it ideal for the mid week rush!
That’s the thing about food for most foodies, we are always thinking about food. What we’re cooking? Where does it comes from? Can we grow it ourselves or where best to source it? Consequently Michelle and I have a never-ending dialogue about food.
However there remains one question which even the most dedicated foodies amongst us really don’t want to consider. Mid week, busy day and you ask your family”what do you want for dinner tonight?” Despite being keen cooks, it’s this one dilemma that bogs us all down!
Some typical responses from my family include: “I don’t know”; “I don’t mind”; “I’m happy with anything”, that is until you suggest something they don’t want. Meanwhile let’s not forget my all time favourite response “What do you want?” Clearly if I knew the answer I would not have asked the question! Similarly, up and down the country there are other equally fraught parents desperate for an answer that might actually contains a meal suggestion! After all we all have days when we just want someone else to make the decision!
Nevertheless when my husband is asked this question and actually bothers to give a suggestion it’s always “chicken fajitas” or indeed any variety of chicken in a wrap! (Worth mentioning at this point that my family have almost put me off chicken wraps for life!) Equally annoying for Michelle is the response “chicken casserole, you know the one with the bacon in it!”
So for an alternative chicken dinner tonight its pan-fried chicken with smoked bacon & beans. Will they enjoy it as much as their usual request? Well we hope so as we think it’s a lovely plate of food.
We would also thank Donald Russell Butchers for providing us with the chicken and the bacon that we used in the creation of this dish. You can also read about our Supperclub last spring where we used Donald Russell chicken supremes.
Pin the recipe for later:
pan-fried chicken with smoked bacon & beans
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon - thin sliced and finely cut
- 1 leek - finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely sliced
- 200 ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cannellini beans - drained
- 200 ml chicken stock
- small bunch thyme - leaves only
- small bunch parsley - leaves only and chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 50 g butter
- salt & pepper
- 300 ml single cream
- Place 2tbsp sunflower oil in a large frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Add the bacon to the pan and fry until lightly coloured. Add the leek and garlic and continue to saute for 2 minutes until the leek has softened but not coloured.
- Add the white wine to the pan and cook out the alcohol for a minute or so. Then add the beans, chicken stock and thyme and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the bean mixture has started to thicken.
- Meanwhile add the remaining 2tbsp of sunflower oil and the butter to another frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Season the chicken breasts and place in the pan, saute gently for approximately 20 minutes, turning occassionaly to ensure even colour and that the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked set aside to rest.
- Once the beans have thickened check for seasoning and add the single cream and season with salt & pepper to taste. The amount of salt required will depend on the saltiness of the bacon used.
- Serve the rested chicken on top of the smoked bacon and beans alongside some green beans or green salad.