A simple omelette packed full of vibrant green vegetables and herbs, with the saltiness of feta and the crunch from toasted seeds.
It’s January and with the festive holiday behind us many are looking to lighten the load when it comes to food. Now as much as I love Christmas and all that it brings food-wise, by January I’m looking for a reduction in the excesses. I’m not suggesting for a minute that I still don’t hanker after a warming stew on the cold days, of course I do. After all I live in the North East of Scotland and its still the middle of Winter! It’s just that come January I need a touch of lightness in my food.
I love this vibrant green omelette, packed full of green vegetables and herbs. I like adding the feta as it adds a nice saltiness to the dish. However if you are following a dairy-free diet simply leave it out. This omelette uses only 4 eggs to feed 2 people a good lunch. If you are cooking this omelette for one, simply reduce the number of eggs you are using.
I really enjoy my greens, I have done since I was a child. Even mid winter my vegetable patch has a nice amount of Winter and Spring greens coming along nicely. This combination of flavours work really well together and the toasted seeds add a lovely crunch. A healthy meal prepared in minutes, but leaving you full for hours.
Pin the recipe for later:
Some other recipes to try:
If you like an omelette for dinner as much as I do, then you might enjoy our Chorizo Tortilla or our Omelette Arnold Bennett. Hosting your own brunch then take the stress out of it and head to our Ultimate Guide to Brunch. Here you’ll find all our brunch recipes together with some great advice on how to get started.
healthy green omelette
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 courgette - remove & discard soft core, dice the green
- 4 spring onions - finely sliced
- 30 g basil leaves - finely shredded
- 200 g frozen spinach
- 4 large free-range eggs - beaten
- 100 g feta cheese - diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 large handful watercress
- 1 avocado - sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil pesto
- 1 tbsp toasted sunflower & pumpkin seeds
- Add the sunflower oil to a small non-stick frying pan. Add the courgette, spring onion, basil and spinach to the pan and saute over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Season the eggs with salt and a generous crack of black pepper. Add the eggs to the vegetable mixture in the pan. Stir gently to combine allowing the bottom of the omelette to set, however the top should still be liquid.
- Sprinkle over the diced feta cheese and place the pan under a hot grill. Grill until the top of the omelette has set and the cheese is starting to turn golden. Remove from the grill.
- Place the omelette on a warm plate, cover with the avocado and watercress. Sprinkle over the toasted seeds and drizzle over the pesto. Serve immediately.
We’ve linked this recipe up to CookBlogShare, a great sharing place for other food bloggers, make sure you check out some other great recipes!